Vanilla Ice Cream
- 20 min (+ overnight freezing)
- 28 min
- 4 egg yolks
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Scotsburn milk
- 250 ml (1 cup) Scotsburn 35% whipping cream
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 250 ml (1 cup) fresh strawberries, mashed (optional)
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar with a hand-held mixer for 1 minute.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk and 3/4 of the cream just to the boiling point.
- Pour the hot liquid into the egg-sugar mixture in a thin stream, whisking constantly to avoid cooking the eggs.
- Transfer the mixture to a heavy-bottomed saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture coats the back of the spoon.
- Pour immediately into a clean bowl and whisk in the rest of the cream.
- Pour the mixture into a 20 cm (8 in) square pan and place in the freezer. Stir the mixture every 20 minutes with a fork or a whisk, making sure to scrape the bottom and sides well to prevent crystalsfrom forming. Use a timer if necessary.
- For strawberry ice cream, this is the time add 250 ml (1 cup) of fresh strawberries, mashed with a fork.
When the ice cream is firm but not too hard, transfer it to a plastic container with a good lid, seal well and store in the freezer overnight.