7-Layer Vegetable Dip
- 25 min
- 40 min
- 4 dozen
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into ½ cm (1/4") slices
- 3 red bell peppers, cut lengthwise in quarters
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 7.5 ml (1 ½ tsp) fresh lemon juice
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- To taste: salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 ripe avocados
- To taste: fresh lime juice
- 250 ml (1 cup) Scotsburn sour cream
- 250 ml (1 cup) Saputo ricotta cheese
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) hot sauce
- 225 g (½ lb) Armstrong medium cheddar, grated
- 3 tomatoes, sliced in half along the equator, seeded and roughly chopped
- 375 ml (1 ½ cups) whole pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- In a large bowl, toss the zucchini and red pepper with the olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper. In a grill pan or on a BBQ over medium-high heat, grill the vegetables for 2 minutes on each side. Chop them roughly, keeping them separate. Reserve a small handful of chopped red pepper for topping.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh and mash it coarsely in a small bowl. Add lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Reserve.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, ricotta cheese and hot sauce. Reserve.
- Assemble the dip: Arrange the red peppers evenly in the bottom of a 25 cm (10") deep serving dish (preferably glass so the layers are visible). Spread the mashed avocado over them, using a spatula. Sprinkle with half the cheese, then layer on the zucchini and tomatoes. Spoon the spicy sour cream mixture evenly over the tomatoes, and follow with the black olives. Garnish with the reserved red pepper and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar. Serve with tortilla chips.